Thursday, January 2, 2020

A New Year Begins: A Message from Edo Banach

It's 2020, the New Year is here.

During the holiday season that brought 2019 to a close with Hanukkah, Christmas, and Kwanzaa, I hope you found time to spend with family and loved ones. As one year comes to a close and a new one begins, many of us think about resolutions for the year. As I start a new year, I find it important to express gratitude for all that I have in my life - my family, my vocation, my colleagues and friends... In this spirit, I want to share some of the content that is included in the Winter 2019 edition of our member publication, NewsLine. “The Gift of…” article that beings on page 24 reminds us of the importance of the work we do and how it’s more than a profession but a calling to serve. From the legacy of Lou Alvarez, to memories made possible by NHF Lighthouse of Hope, to the service of our volunteer award honorees, and the power of music as an expression, please take some time to read and share these stories that you'll find in digital NewsLine

This issue of NewsLine also shares some reminders of the ongoing work that we share in ensuring all people have access to person- and family-centered care. For example, I was honored to provide testimony to the House of Representatives Ways & Means Committee on the importance of person-centered, interdisciplinary care at the hearing on Caring for Aging Americans. I share some reflections that may be of interest. You will also find some information on program integrity legislation that has been introduced in the Senate and is likely to factor into activity and advocacy in the year ahead.

The year ahead will likely include opportunities to focus on quality and to expand our reach beyond the traditional Medicare hospice benefit. We will also be faced with challenges as regulators, legislators and the administration continue to look closely at hospice care in the U.S. in ways both positive and concerning. Please rest assured that NHPCO and our affiliates are ready to work with our membership to support them through all that is ahead of us. It can be the times that challenge us the most that help us realize how resilient we really are, and spur needed innovation and change within our community.

Let me offer a final thought of appreciation to all those who support NHPCO through membership, sponsorship, advocacy efforts, and involvement in this organization in too many ways to list. Thank you. And if your organization is not a current NHPCO provider member, I encourage you to think about joining us this year; more information in online.

I look forward to the year ahead!

Edo 
President and CEO
NHPCO



No comments: