Curriculum will Focus on Leading and Managing in Tough Economic Times
(Alexandria, Va) – With the healthcare reform debate, threats to reimbursement, increased regulatory demands and an economic downturn, hospice leaders are reeling and reaching out for guidance and practical solutions to weather this period of change and transition. In response to the needs of the hospice community, NHPCO has announced a two-day professional development intensive that will be part of its Clinical Team Conference in Denver, CO, September 24-25, 2009.
A survey conducted by NHPCO earlier this year indicates that the recent economic downturn has negatively impacted hospices across the country, with nearly 75 percent of respondents reporting an overall negative financial impact in 2008. A majority of respondents (58.4%) said they experienced a reduction in revenue in 2008. Over three-quarters of respondents (77.9%) said they had implemented reductions in spending in 2008. (Learn more about the findings from NHPCO’s economic impact survey in July’s NewsLine, pg. 6.)
Leading and Managing in Tough Economic Times is a unique program designed to provide hospice CEOs and other organizational leaders with specific tools and resources to help their programs survive and thrive in the months and years to come.
The program's education agenda runs throughout the first two days of the 10th Clinical Team Conference. Attendees of this program may attend all or some of these sessions as well as programs and events offered during the first two days of the CTC (September 24-25), including plenary and concurrent sessions, networking and conference exhibit hall events.
“In years to come if asked how you responded to these financial challenges will
you be able to say you proactively developed and executed a plan?” asked J.
Donald Schumacher, president and CEO of NHPCO. “We’ve created this intensive
specifically to address the needs and concerns we hear from provides in the
Confirmed Speakers include: Mark Murray, The Center for Hospice & Palliative Care, South Bend, IN; Charlene M. Bunts, WellStar Community Hospice, Austell, GA; Christie Franklin, Bristol Hospice, Salt Lake City; Mary Sheehan, Midwest Palliative & Hospice CareCenter, Glenview, IL; and Greg Wood, Hospice of North Central Oklahoma, Ponca City.
Registration is now open for Leading and Managing in Tough Economic Times. Visit nhpco.org/ctc2009 for more information on this timely program.
Thursday, September 24, 2009
- 8:30 AM – 10:00 AM CTC Opening Plenary
- 10:15 AM – 11:45 AM Quick Cuts, Contingency Plans and Long-range Planning: Developing a Road Map for an Uncertain Future – Charlene and Mary
- 11:45 AM – 1:30 PM Complimentary Box Lunch
- Noon – 1:15 PM Discipline-Specific Networking Meetings (NCHPP)
- 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM Creating a Culture of Belt-Tightening
- 2:45 PM – 3:45 PM Doing More with Less? Yes, It Can Be Done
- 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM CTC Welcome Reception and Exhibition
- 8:15 AM – 9:30 AM General Plenary II
- 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM Networking Break with Exhibitors
- 10:45 AM – 11:45 AM Utilizing Financial Data to Enhance Patient Care
- 11:45 AM – 1:15 PM Networking Lunch with Exhibitors
- 1:30 PM – 3:00 PM Downsizing with Compassion
- 3:15 PM – 4:15 PM Panel: Been There, Done That and Still Learning as We Go
- 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM General Plenary III
For more information on this program, contact NHPCO member services team at 1-800-646-6460 or visit nhpco.org/ctc2009.